Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Changing River

It was in the teens Sunday morning as I stood by the river admiring what resembled sparkling diamonds. The sun shown brightly as it peeked through the clouds revealing the promise of some clear blue sky.

In the distance I could hear the rushing sound of the water that managed to make its way to the surface still surrounded by frozen ice. The occasional popping and cracking sound of the ice provided a unique accompaniment to the never-ending song of the moving river.

My attention was diverted by the sound of the beating wings of a magpie as it flew past my shoulder.

Saturday I returned to Burnt Tree fishing access to see how much more of the river had melted. To my surprise the path that was so perfectly carved a few days earlier was completely gone. Here is a glimpse of what I found.


I never cease to be amazed at the changes in the Madison River in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment