Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Ken's Unexpected Journey

Photo by Ken W. Hall
There have been moments when being married to an adventuresome photographer like Ken Hall  has taken me on some unexpected emotional journeys.  This past week we experienced one I will not soon forget.

Ken was supposed to pick me up at 8:00 PM on Thursday evening but did not show up.  I finally walked home to discover he was not there and had not been there for some time.  I had no idea where he was but the filled water bottle left behind on the kitchen counter was my first clue along with the absence of his camera and tripod.

Earlier in the day he mentioned he wanted to get images of the fall colors before they were gone.  So, I knew he must have followed that urge.  I also knew since he did not call to let me know he would not be there to pick me up he was likely in trouble. 

I called a friend of ours who has worked with search and rescue to see if anything could be done this late in the evening.  It had been dark for some time and snow was predicted.  We both agreed not much could be done until morning.  All I could do is wait until dawn.

That night I got plenty of practice keeping myself focused on the truth of the present moment.  My precious mind wanted to take me on the most amazing imaginary journeys where Ken was in grave danger with bears, wolves or likely dead.  But I knew in my heart he would be fine and I would eventually learn the truth.

After a twenty-four hour roller coaster ride for both of us and a welcome night of rest the above photo was taken by Ken Saturday morning at sunrise from our front yard in Ennis.  He was grateful to be home after his unplanned snowy overnight adventure stuck in frozen mud near Black Butte in the Ruby Valley.  When he is ready to share his photographs and details of the journey I will share them here.

When I got up this morning I whispered another prayer of thanksgiving that Ken was home safe.  I noticed it was twenty degrees.  A cold front is expected to bring snow this afternoon.  The weather is changing and most people I talk with are reluctant to accept that winter is sure to come.

1 comment:

  1. What a welcome home that must have been!?! A spectacular shot too...

    ReplyDelete