Monday, October 29, 2012

Observing Mother Nature

©2012 Ken W. Hall  

©2012 Ken W. Hall 


©2012 Ken W. Hall 

"Today she teased me and she spoke. Mother Nature lured me into her reality. I drove thru light snow into the campground and was instantly greeted by raucous calls of the magpies.  At the water's edge I sat and wondered how many snow flakes and how many ripples make a day like today a reality. No answer so I drove out only to find my usual route back to the highway impaired.
Magpies were frantically feasting on a deer carcass obviously left by hunters. Screaming, talking and ripping morsels that would warm bodies in the coming hours. How long do morsels last in these  temperatures…seconds, minutes, hours? No matter She always feeds her own does Mother Nature. I drove on.
I rounded the bend and glanced at flashing feathers dancing on the beaver damn. Something known only to the magpies was lodged in the tangle of limbs, leaves and rocks at waters edge. It was quite this ballet of feather, snow and ancient traditions. The dance stopped and I drove on to the highway.
A quiet 'Thank You' to Mother and I was done and I headed back to the studio."
                                                                                                                                                -- Ken W. Hall
The above trip took place last week along the Madison River.  Today it was windy and fifty degrees when we woke.  Rain followed and continues to fall off and on.  The rain is much needed here.  Our weather predictions for this week include higher than normal temperatures.  We are truly blessed.

2 comments:

  1. During this time, everyone who has poetic vein enjoys to going to country, because he can say the things with poetic delight and this is cause of self satisfaction.

    Greetings !

    Tomás.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomas, I love reading your comments. They are also like poetry. Thank you for brightening my day. Blessings, Penny

    ReplyDelete